Do you know about Whatcom Smart Trips? If you’re like me, you’ve heard of it but never got around to signing up. Here’s the lowdown.
Whatcom Smart Trips started in 2006 to promote transportation by walking, bicycling, sharing rides, and riding the bus. It is an ongoing partnership between local government, public agencies, employers, and schools. There are over 12,000 people who participate in the program, and they have logged 27,747,108 miles not driven!
How to participate: What you do is sign up on their website, and log your trip every time you walk, bike, carpool, or ride the bus instead of driving by yourself. You can also set recurring smart trips if you commute via alternate transportation on a regular basis.
Why to participate:
- Discounts at businesses around Whatcom County, including in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden, Blaine, and Deming.
- Cash prizes. There are monthly drawings for $250, and quarterly drawings for $1,000.
- Save money on gasoline, auto maintenance, and insurance.
- Get fit in no time at all. Travel time is already built into your day. Spend it walking or biking and skip the gym.
- Enjoy a newer car. Save your car from the wear and tear of daily commuting. It extends automobile life and slows depreciation.
- Get more done. Spend travel time more enjoyably or productively. Catch up on the news or read a good book.
- Relax. Walking or bicycling puts you in a good mood.
- Get connected with your community. Making Smart Trips puts you within conversational distance of everyone around you.
- Teach your children healthy transportation habits without saying a word. Modeling is the best form of education.
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Be part of the solution to one of the most serious challenges of our time.
More info at Whatcom Smart Trips website.